Rubba Slippas

Rubba Slippas
Photo borrowed from Beach Sandals

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Southern Utah University, Li Hing Mui, and Zappos!


Li Hing Mui - Yum!
Growing up in Hawaii, I learned to love certain foods that might gross out my friends on the mainland. Whenever we went to the movie in Waikiki - this was before the Waikiki Three was built - we would go to the cracked seed store right next door to the theater and buy our treats for the movie. They sold items like li hing mui (dried cherry), dried squid, cuttlefish, mochi crunch and other yummy things.  Once, I was eating li hing mui at my desk when I worked for Clark County Parks and Recreation and my friend Kelly asked if she could have one. I asked if she was sure she wanted to try one and she didn't seem to understand what I meant. So, I gave her one and she popped it in her mouth and then she spit it in the trash and asked why I would do that to a friend. I couldn't answer because I was laughing so hard.  Her face was priceless. I wish I had a picture now!  Anyway, if you grew up in Hawaii and now live on the mainland like I do, you probably crave such foods.  My sister Momi told me about her li hing mui dealer. She sells these yummy snacks on ebay and here is her link. The reason we both like her is because she sells a quality product at a reasonable price and then she adds that Special Touch! You not only get what you ordered and on time, but you get a personalized note wishing you happy snacking and she also includes some tasty samples of other products that she sells. Isn't that perfect?  By including the personal touch and adding some samples, she is promoting goodwill AND her business.  Quality Service Lesson:  Add that Special Touch and promote your business at the same time.

Zappos sells shoes AND Quality Service
Llama Land
SUU VP on a purple elephant
The Southern Utah University Quality Service Committee took a tour of Zappos to see how they consistently provided quality service. Well, we got lucky, because it was Employee Appreciation Day when we went to visit their facility in Las Vegas. What a blast! They had a live llama and a python for employee photo opportunities and they had all these cool motorized animals that you could ride around the parking lot. They gave away t-shirts and food and you could take a picture with a crown on because you were queen (or king) for a day. They invited us to join in the festivities, so we did! It was so much fun. They do a variety of things to keep their employees happy because they realize that happy employees give better service. It is hard to sit in a call center all day long, answering questions and taking orders and making others happy if you don't feel happy yourself. Well, Zappos has it figured out. Employees can decorate their cubicles however they want and they have team activities and a variety of other ways to keep employees happy to be at Zappos. Good job Zappos!  Quality Service Lesson:  Keep your employees happy so they will keep your customers happy!
Monty Python and Me
Southern Utah University (SUU) professors want students to succeed!
Not only do the professors at SUU have terminal degrees, but they really care about their students.

When I signed up for the Spring Semester at SUU to continue my capstone work for my Professional Communication Master's, I thought I was supposed to sign up for Capstone Continuance. Come to find out, Capstone Continuance is for the circumstance of having to continue your capstone if you don't complete it in two semesters. Dr. Barton, Associate Professor of Communication, e-mailed me and explained everything to me so I could sign up and get the right credit. That was so nice!  Throughout pursuit of my master's degree, I have not taken a class from a professor that disappointed me. Ellen Treanor has taught me so much about Social Media. I feel I could successfully run a marketing campaign through social media with all that she has taught me. I never realized all the platforms that were available.  I took a Statistics class from Dr. Husselbee and was lost at first, but I called him and he said I could come right up to his office and he clarified what was keeping me from understanding and I ended up getting an A in that class. He had me write a personal moral theory in his ethics class that I try to live by every day. He used experiential learning in the applied audiences seminar so that now I have experience conducting a focus group and an on-line survey.  Dr. Dubrasky in the English Department taught me creative writing which turned out to be one of my favorite classes. I learned so much in that class.  Working and getting a degree at Southern Utah University has been one of the best experiences of my life.  Quality Service Lesson:  Care about your customers. They will appreciate it and will remember that you cared and they will do your advertising for you.

Remember - every day is Aloha Friday! Take the Aloha Spirit with you wherever you go and make it a good one!

No comments: